Assist Your AC During Torrid Temps
We all know that when electricity use goes up, so does your bill. But don’t feel helpless. There are several steps you can take to help your air conditioner do its job.
- Change AC filters regularly. If the filter gets clogged, the unit has a harder time doing its job.
- Make sure vents are unobstructed. Move rugs and furniture away from air registers for improved air flow.
- Keep the area around the outdoor unit clean. Plants, tools and debris can restrict air flow in and out of the unit.
- Use heat producing appliances at night. Besides the heat from outside, your air conditioner also has to remove heat from the stove, oven or dryer.
- Keep doors and windows closed.
- Use blinds or drapes to keep the direct sun out.
- Add insulation. If your home’s insulation is deficient, you’re losing some of the cooling you’re paying for. The same is true for insulation around the AC’s duct system.