Prepare Now for Summer Heat
Make sure your home is prepared to stay cool and efficient with these tips:
- Ensure the air conditioner is working properly – have a licensed contractor do an inspection and tune-up.
- Change the filters.
- Don't pile junk or plant shrubs around the outdoor unit.
- Keep rugs and furniture off indoor vents.
- Install a programmable thermostat to save energy when you’re away.
- Use ceiling or box fans, and run the air conditioning at a higher setting.
- Avoid using heat-producing appliances – like the oven, stove or dryer – during the hottest parts of the day. Use the grill for cooking.
- Keep blinds or shades closed wherever the sun shines in.
- Make sure kids aren’t forgetting to close outside doors.
- Check and balance chemical levels to reduce pump run times.
- Install a pump timer.
- Switch to energy-efficient pumps.
- Check out Walton EMC’s Levelized Billing to take the peaks out of summer bills.