Solar Electricity 101: Cooperative Solar
Customer-owners join together to support a large-scale solar project. They reap the benefits without many of the hassles of owning and maintaining their own solar system.
Cooperative Solar Advantages
- Reduced installation cost. Economies of scale in a cooperative project bring the price of solar panels down.
- No maintenance cost or worries. Walton EMC provides all upkeep.
- No roof intrusion. There are no holes needed to accommodate solar panel mounting hardware.
- Home orientation, shading and aesthetic concerns vanish. The home doesn’t have to face a certain direction, nor do trees have to be cut to participate.
- Increased access and participation. Most landlords and many homeowner associations prohibit the installation of solar panels.
How Coooperative Solar Works
- Walton EMC builds and maintains the solar farm.
- Customer-owners purchase blocks in the facility according to their needs.
- The cooperative meters and delivers solar electricity to the power grid.
- Participants receive a credit on their electric bill according to the level of participation in the project and the output of the solar panels.
- Participants enjoy a greener home and lifestyle.