To protect against the hazards of the aftermath of severe storms, follow this safety advice:
Stay away from any downed line, even if you think it’s phone or cable TV.
Take care when stepping into a flooded area, and be aware that submerged outlets or electrical cords may energize the water, posing a potential lethal trap.
Do not use electrical appliances that have been wet. Water can damage the motors in electrical appliances, such as furnaces, freezers, refrigerators, washing machines and dryers. For those that have been under water, have them reconditioned by a qualified service repairman, or purchase new ones.
Take special care with portable electric generators, which can provide a good source of power, but if improperly installed or operated, can become deadly.
Do not connect generators directly to household wiring. Power from generators can backfeed along power lines and electrocute anyone coming in contact with them, including line workers making repairs. A qualified, licensed electrician should install your generator to ensure that it meets local electrical codes.
Make sure extension cords used with generators are rated for the load, and are free of cuts or worn insulation, and have three-pronged plugs.
Do not operate the generator in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. Generators can produce high levels of carbon monoxide very quickly, which can be deadly.
Use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) to help prevent electrocutions and electrical shock injuries.
Call (770) 267.2505 to speak to a Customer Care Representative from Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.