Every 15 seconds, a home is burglarized in the U.S. — mostly in July and August, when families go on vacation.
Law enforcement officials recommend installing a monitored home security system, such as those available from EMC Security (owned by Walton EMC), as the first line of defense to protect your home from burglary. Today, many homeowners are also installing self-monitored home security cameras to complement their existing home security plan.
More homeowners are installing self-monitored home security cameras
to complement their existing home security plan.
Georgia homeowners are following a national trend toward installing video surveillance equipment for security and monitoring conveniences, said Jennifer Kimble, marketing and communications manager for EMC Security. The cooperative-owned company serves about 56,000 accounts in metro Atlanta and surrounding counties.
“Not so long ago, the average Georgia homeowner couldn’t afford to install security cameras to supplement their home security systems,” said Kimble. “Now, however, residential surveillance systems are commonplace. Advances in technology, including in video cameras, video recorders and networking capabilities have made them more affordable and appropriate for home use.”
Security/surveillance cameras let you view the inside and/or the outside of your home –any time from work or even from the beach. It’s also possible to receive alerts, view activity in real time or review recorded clips from a mobile device, television or computer.
Kimble lists these five key benefits of installing cameras in and around your home:
1. Deter intruders and thieves. The mere sight of a camera staring back at them, and the sheer thought of getting caught red-handed will deter most would-be thieves. “During surveys of convicted burglars, 60 percent said they would not break into a house where they see video cameras,” Kimble said. Instead, they’ll move on to an easier target – a home without cameras.
2. Provide video evidence. If a theft should occur, your security cameras can provide police with the information – like a description – they need to convict the thief and maybe even help retrieve stolen goods. Be sure to invest in a security camera that features high-quality video and audio capabilities to provide a clear recording of any incident.
3. Monitor family. It’s always nice to have another set of eyes on your children or your aging parents when they’re home alone. Just log in from a computer, smartphone or tablet to check up on loved ones. Cameras can also be used to keep an eye on younger children and their teenage babysitters.
4. Check on pets. Are you worried about how the new puppy is adapting? Concerned about an older pet that needs special attention? With a home security camera, you can ensure that your furry friends are safe and sound – and not ripping your sofa to shreds.
5. Reduce insurance costs. Most major insurers now offer lower homeowners insurance premiums if you protect your property against theft, fire, and vandalism with a professionally-installed and monitored home security system. A more advanced system that includes home security cameras could net you a 15 to 20 percent discount on your rates. Check with your insurance company for details.
Ready to build out your home security surveillance system?
EMC Security offers self-monitored indoor and outdoor cameras and video doorbells. Available cameras include features such as free live look-in, two-way audio, high-definition video and night vision. Learn more at EMC Security.
Add a subscription to EMC Security’s video service to store and view anything your camera detects. The cost is only $10 a month. No contract is required, and the service can be canceled at any time without penalty.
Order online now or call 770-963-0305 for professional installation.
MORE: Check out this short tutorial to learn where to put your home security cameras.