In Good Company
October 3, 2022
As one of 40,000 member-owned businesses nationwide, Walton EMC is in very good company to celebrate National Cooperative Month.
We’re one of 831 electric distribution co-ops serving 42 million Americans. But cooperatives do more than provide safe, reliable electricity. In fact, the co-op model is used by businesses in nearly every sector of our economy.
A few co-op connections you may not know about:
- Some Georgians bank at credit unions or get loans from Farm Credit — both are co-ops.
- If you insure property or vehicles with a mutual insurance company, you’re doing business with a cooperative.
- Well-known food brands such as Sunkist, Ocean Spray, Welch’s, SunMaid, Land O’Lakes, Florida’s Natural, Borden, Blue Diamond and Sue Bee are owned by farmer cooperatives.
- Ace Hardware Corporation and True Value Hardware are retailer-owned co-ops.
- IGA grocery stores buy their inventory from a cooperative food wholesaler.
- Outdoor gear retailer REI is the nation’s largest consumer co-op.
- The Associated Press is a nonprofit news cooperative owned by its member newspapers.
- Best Western is a cooperative hotel chain that provides pooled services such as a reservations system to independent hotel owner-members.
It’s an honor to be among America’s businesses that exist to serve the best interests of our members. Happy National Cooperative Month!
Power with a Purpose
It all started in 1937 in a wooden farmhouse on Snows Mill Road in northeastern Walton County. A determined community living in darkness pulled together and, with a little help from the Rural Electrification Administration, a string on a bulb was tugged, and darkness turned to light. Many things have changed in North Georgia in […]
Ready. Set. Holidays!
Make plans now to join Dean Pannell and Denise Beacham in Watkinsville and Loganville for our Walton EMC 2022 Holiday Programs. Pannell, a Georgia Master Florist, will focus on practical Christmas decorating ideas. You’ll enjoy his interactive instruction style that’s peppered with humorous stories and anecdotes. Beacham will share her knowledge of creative gift giving […]
Adcock and West Complete Professional Loss Control Program
Brad Adcock (left), loss control director, and Ryan West right), safety and training instructor, completed a two-year Certified Loss Control Professional Program (CLCP). A focus on loss control helps Walton EMC reduce insurance claims through safety and risk management. The CLCP conducts the program in collaboration with the National Utility Training Safety Education Association and […]
Easy Does it With a Motion Sensor Light Switch
It’s no fun fumbling around for a light switch in a dark house. Equally inconvenient is walking into the laundry room with an armload of clothes and not having a free hand to reach the light switch. And then there’s the age-old problem of simply forgetting to turn off the lights when leaving a space. […]
Plugged In: Can I install an outdoor security light at my house?
Answer: Whether your goal is adequate lighting to complete outdoor chores when days grow shorter or you simply want to upgrade protection for your home, an automatic security light installed by Walton EMC is the solution. One, low monthly fee covers installation and maintenance of an energy-efficient LED light that can illuminate a wide area. […]