In Good Company
October 3, 2022
As one of 40,000 member-owned businesses nationwide, Walton EMC is in very good company to celebrate National Cooperative Month.
We’re one of 831 electric distribution co-ops serving 42 million Americans. But cooperatives do more than provide safe, reliable electricity. In fact, the co-op model is used by businesses in nearly every sector of our economy.
A few co-op connections you may not know about:
- Some Georgians bank at credit unions or get loans from Farm Credit — both are co-ops.
- If you insure property or vehicles with a mutual insurance company, you’re doing business with a cooperative.
- Well-known food brands such as Sunkist, Ocean Spray, Welch’s, SunMaid, Land O’Lakes, Florida’s Natural, Borden, Blue Diamond and Sue Bee are owned by farmer cooperatives.
- Ace Hardware Corporation and True Value Hardware are retailer-owned co-ops.
- IGA grocery stores buy their inventory from a cooperative food wholesaler.
- Outdoor gear retailer REI is the nation’s largest consumer co-op.
- The Associated Press is a nonprofit news cooperative owned by its member newspapers.
- Best Western is a cooperative hotel chain that provides pooled services such as a reservations system to independent hotel owner-members.
It’s an honor to be among America’s businesses that exist to serve the best interests of our members. Happy National Cooperative Month!