MONROE, Ga. – Walton Electric Membership Corporation (EMC) has taken many precautions over the last few months to protect its customer-owners and employees from COVID-19.
Employees have remained healthy throughout the pandemic by taking those health guidelines seriously. Walton EMC’s workforce has been able to deliver electric services and associated operations without interruption.
One of the measures put in place was limiting access to the cooperative’s property. All three offices and lobbies in Monroe, Snellville and Watkinsville were closed except to employees and essential deliveries. Customer drive-through customer windows remained open.
As Governor Kemp has issued subsequent executive orders reopening the state’s businesses, Walton EMC will reopen its facilities on Monday, July 6. At that time, customer-owners can visit any office lobby for regular business transactions. Customer care representatives will still implement sanitation practices to protect customer-owners and themselves.
Disconnections for non-payment will also resume on July 6. “We want to work with our customer-owners to help them through these unprecedented times,” said CEO Ronnie Lee. “If our customer-owners are having trouble paying their bill, they should call 770-267-2505 and talk to one of our customer care representatives. In most cases, we can work with them on a plan to spread out payments or catch up on past due balances.”
“Please don’t leave things to chance,” says Lee. “Letting us know what’s going on and keeping the lines of communication open is the best course of action.”
Resources Walton EMC offers include:
- Levelized billing, which removes month-to-month peaks and valleys from electric bills caused by weather, changing energy use and other factors.
- PrePay, which is pay-along electricity. Customers set the payment plan and amount that fits their budget.
- Senior Citizen Low-Income Discount gives qualifying seniors a 50 percent discount on the monthly service charge.
Other programs not administered by Walton EMC include:
- United Way 211 – dial 211 or visit unitedwayatlanta.org/need-help
- LIHEAP – qualified applicants may be able to get home heating assistance. For Barrow, Clarke and Oconee counties, call 770-532-3191; for DeKalb, Gwinnett, Newton, Rockdale and Walton counties, call 404-537-4300; and for Green and Morgan counties, call 478-453-4111.
Walton EMC is an innovative, customer-owned and focused electric utility serving accounts in 10 Northeast Georgia counties between Atlanta and Athens. In its long history of meeting customer-owners’ needs, the cooperative established successful natural gas and security subsidiaries as well as nationally recognized residential consumer and commercial customer choice solar initiatives. For more information, visit waltonemc.com.
# # #